St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church - Omaha
LocationName of Facility: St. Margaret Mary Church
6116 Dodge St
Submitted ByName: Sheryl Kirk
Reports to: Business Manager/Pastor
Principal Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe Communication Specialist is responsible for the coordination and implementation of all parish communication. The job requires a dynamic and forward-thinking professional who combines strategic thinking with attention to detail and a ‘boots on the ground’ practicality and work ethic.
15-20 hours per week
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Creating and maintaining an annual communications calendar that includes a production schedule for all print and electronic materials, internal and external correspondence, and specific marketing projects.
• Collaborating with the entire parish family to develop the St. Margaret Mary brand.
• Developing, writing, and editing articles for the parish annual report; its design, production and distribution.
• Developing, writing, and editing articles for the parish weekly bulletin and its overall design by the production deadline.
• Collaborating with parish staff, organizations, committees and ministries to communicate events/stories across the various types of communication.
• Serving as the primary content/organizational manager for the parish website.
• Working with the pastor to produce and distribute the weekly parish update.
• Executing and contributing to parish communication/marketing efforts including print and digital, social media, parish bulletin boards and other platforms.
• Conceptualizing, creating and producing compelling visual storytelling through video and print/photography.
• Recruit a team of volunteers to assist with tasks as needed, ie. photographers, graphic designers, etc.
• Evaluating and managing the sourcing/bidding of outside vendors for specialty expertise or services (design services, photography, production, printing) when volunteers are not available.
• Budget forecasting and management.
Education and Experience
• An appreciation for our mission and philosophy as a Catholic parish in the Archdiocese of Omaha.
• A Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field.
• At least 5-7 years of experience in communications, preferably in the non-profit sector.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, all social media platforms. Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus.
• Ability to work flexible hours (occasional evenings and weekends) in accordance with the demands of the position.
• Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills with the ability to produce materials quickly and in a variety of styles.
• Ability to develop, monitor, and adhere to budgets and production schedules.
• Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines.
• Ability to work in the wider parish team.