St. Philip Neri – Blessed Sacrament Parish (Omaha) - Omaha
LocationName of Facility: St. Philip Neri-Blessed Sacrament Parish and Holy Name Parish
8200 North 30th Street
Submitted ByName: Fr. Damien J. Cook
DescriptionDepartment: Bilingual Director of Religious Education
Reports to: Pastor
Principal Duties and ResponsibilitiesJob Title: Bilingual Director of Religious Education
Department: Faith Formation
Hours: Part-time and flexible (20-24 hours weekly): Must be onsite Wednesday evenings to conduct the program and on a few separate occasions, e.g., rehearsals for and conferral of sacraments, i.e., First Communion, Confirmation, etc.
Reports to: Pastor
The Director of Religious Education, with direction from the Pastor, is responsible for providing Christian formation, religious education, and sacramental preparation to children and families of our Family of Parishes, Holy Name Parish and St. Philip Neri-Blessed Sacrament Parish. The goal of the Director of Religious Education is to help parish children and their parents to encounter the Living Christ, provide adequate catechetical preparation, and nurture a love and devotion to their Catholic faith and identity. The Director of Religious Education ensures that the curriculum, volunteers, and the implementation of all religious education programs support the teachings of the Church and encourage opportunities for involvement in parish life.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• A practicing Roman Catholic who is living a life in accord with Church teaching and the ability to receive Holy Communion and who has a personal prayer life, possesses evangelical zeal, and has a theological knowledge of Catholic Church teachings. Experience of family-based catechetical programs and pedagogies and Latino and immigrant culture is helpful.
• Must successfully complete Safe Environment training and certification from the Archdiocese of Omaha
• Strong spiritual leadership skills and the ability to lead others through Lectio Divina.
• Excellent interpersonal, management, communications, public speaking, and presentation skills.
• Must have skills necessary to organize and implement large, program-wide events.
• Good software skills, including Microsoft Office (or equivalent), etc. Must be able to have some flexibility in work hours and be onsite Wednesday evenings and at related Religious Education events, e.g., rehearsals for and conferral of sacraments like 1st Communion and Confirmation, etc.
• NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee in this position may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Education and Experience
• MDiv/MA Degree in Catholic Theology or related field is preferred but not required if a candidate is self-taught in official Catholic theology.
• Previous experience in the religious education field is preferred, but not required. Three to five years of experience in the religious education field is optimal.
• Background in educational and pedagogical models for children is desirable.