Domestic Violence Advocate
Catholic Charities of Omaha - Omaha
LocationName of Facility: Catholic Charities
9223 Bedford Ave.
Submitted ByName: Kelly Bolte
DescriptionDepartment: Domestic Violence Shelter
Reports to: Director of DV Shelter
Principal Duties and Responsibilities1. Provides/facilitates education/support for clients in one-on-one or group setting.
2. Provide day-to-day delivery of services, problem solving, and service coordination.
3. Support and advocate for families in meeting their physical, social, and behavioral needs in a healthy and safe manner.
4. Develop and foster community partnerships (social services, education, health care, law enforcement, and legal systems) to advocate for domestic violence/sexual assault survivors.
5. Maintains a safe and clean environment.
Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
*Reliable attendance is an on-going essential job function.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Working knowledge of domestic violence/sexual assault and the needs, problems, and attitudes related to the victims or a willingness to learn.
• Ability to communicate sensitively and without judgment.
• Ability to abide by agency regulations regarding confidentiality and ethics.
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with clients, co-workers, and other agency staff.
• Ability to use good judgment and communication when reaching decisions.
• Ability to respond to and de-escalate crisis situations appropriately.
• Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries with clients.
• Strong planning and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure.
• Dependable, positive, self-directed, and motivated.
• Knowledge of or experience working with people from diverse groups.
• Ability to show sensitivity to the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
• Knowledge of trauma-informed care practices with an emphasis on empowerment, power differentials, and gender issues.
• Computer proficiency including MS word, excel, power point, outlook.
• Ability to make decisions in emergency situations and the absence of supervisor.
• Knowledge of local community resources.
• Knowledge of Catholic Charities’ mission, values, vision, and ethical standards.
• Knowledge of the Catholic Charities Compliance Program requirements including – but not limited to – the Code of Ethics, the Compliance Policy, all organization-wide policies for compliance and compliance procedures affecting specific duties and responsibilities
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent required
2 or 4 year degree in human services or social work highly preferred