Director of Music
St. Matthew the Evangelist Parish (Bellevue) - Bellevue
LocationName of Facility: St. Matthew the Evangelist
12330 S. 36th Street
Submitted ByName: Paula Banks
DescriptionReports to: Director of Liturgy
Principal Duties and Responsibilities1. Direct the parish music program, select, and plan music in cooperation with the Director of Liturgy and the liturgy team/committee for use in parish liturgies at the three scheduled weekend masses.
2. Plan and prepare choirs for prayerful music for parish liturgies that are appropriate for the Mass and the season or special liturgy, in coordination with the Director of Liturgy.
3. Provide & teach new music for use at the parish, ensuring that music and texts are in accord with Catholic teaching and appropriate for the particular purpose (Liturgy, prayer meeting, etc.), and in a way that ensures the fullest participation of the faithful.
4. Create schedules for choir rehearsals, as needed, to prepare for the different liturgical seasons, Sundays and Holy Days.
5. Build rapport and encourage participation from the parish community to sing at various liturgies.
6. Provide music education, and practical preparation for liturgical celebrations for the Psalmist, cantors/leaders of song, choral, group leaders and instrumental groups.
7. Work to foster unity among all parish musicians, and to create a spirit of harmony with the presider and other liturgical ministers.
8. Promote good public relations both within and beyond the parish, and is involved in ecumenical, cluster, Deanery, and Archdiocesan networks of professional peers.
9. Facilitate regular or occasional meetings/rehearsals for instruction, inspiration and communication for musicians supporting music at Mass and other parish events.
10. Participate in reviewing calendar of upcoming Liturgical events with the Director of Liturgy and collaborate in the detailed planning of Liturgies on a monthly basis.
11. Participate in monthly staff meetings, as needed.
12. Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Liturgy.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Practicing charismatic Catholic
• An understanding of the Catholic Church’s direction about the role of music in the Liturgy
• Demonstrated ability to judge appropriateness of music for the Liturgy vs. other worship venues.
• Able to lead music and worship confidently.
• Collaborative team member/servant leadership
• Excellent communication skills
• Understanding of current Catholic and Diocese liturgy policies and procedures
• Must be open and willing to continue to learn and grow in knowledge and understanding of liturgy best practices.
• Must be able to thrive with minimal supervision.
• Must have the ability to listen carefully and take direction well.
• Ability to manage time and prioritize accordingly.
• Advanced MS Office experience, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel; Apple (iOS) platform experience beneficial.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
Education and Experience
• BA in Music or equivalent.
• Excellent keyboard and vocal skills.
• Experience and expertise with traditional Catholic music and some Contemporary Catholic/Christian music.
• This position requires weekend work, some evenings and Holy Days (i.e. Christmas and Easter).