St. Stephen the Martyr Parish (Omaha) - Omaha
LocationName of Facility: St. Stephen the Martyr
16701 S Street
Submitted ByName: Adam Ybarra
DescriptionDepartment: Religious Education
Reports to: Director of Evangelization and Catechesis
Principal Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry coordinates continued faith formation opportunities for youth (primarily 6th-12th grade) outside of a classroom setting, as well as engaging the young adult population (21—35). The Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry will also help with Sacrament preparation for youth joining the Church or needing to receive a missed Sacrament and to serve as the parish Confirmation Coordinator. As a representative of the parish this position will need to put the mission of the parish first in all actions and communications with others. He/She will create a positive environment with an energetic personality for priests, parishioners, students, and staff members. This position must maintain confidential information and the discernment to know what must be kept confidential.
RequirementsKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Assemble, oversee, and actively develop a core team of volunteers to help plan, prepare, and lead dynamic youth nights and functions designed to catechize and evangelize to our youth. This team should be a living example of living an authentic Catholic Christian life
• Assemble, oversee, and actively develop a core team of volunteers to help plan, prepare and lead events that will engage the young adults of the parish.
• Provide necessary training, faith-formation, and opportunities for spiritual growth within the youth and young adult communities
• Secure Safe Environment Training for adults 19 years of age and older who would like to work or volunteer with youth
• Keep open lines of communication between staff, parents, youth, and parishioners regarding youth and young adult ministry
• Promote events through bulletin articles, bulletin boards, flyers, e-mails, social media outlets, parish website, etc.
• Keep above mentioned means of communication (website, social media outlets, etc.) up-to-date
• Organize special parish events that will help to move forward the Big Goal of the Archbishop
• Help youth with Sacrament preparation (also including Confirmation)
• Coordinate a variety of service opportunities, both in the parish as well as in the community
• Organize and lead retreats and opportunities for spiritual growth for teens/young adults throughout the year
• Coordinate and oversee trips such as summer mission trips and the Steubenville Youth Conference
• Create necessary paperwork for youth ministry functions, including promotional materials, volunteer forms, and registration forms
• Be responsible for all paperwork, including data entry of incoming permission slips, volunteer forms, etc., or oversee a trusted volunteer to do so
• Be available to present at school assemblies
• Daily classroom visits during school hours and during Religious Education (presence during lunch hour is encouraged)
Education and Experience
• B.A. in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, or related field preferred, or Certificate in Youth Ministry or equivalent service or experience
• Must be a practicing Catholic.
• Knowledge of Catholic teachings, catechesis and documents on youth ministry.
• Experience working with youth and parents preferred
Application InstructionsPlease send a cover letter and resume to: